#aprilintentions day 16: Dwi Pada Viparita Dandasana (Two Leg Inverted Staff Pose)
Begin by warming up your whole body, before you do this intense backbend. If you feel too much tension in your lower back, keep you knees bent. If this pose is too challenging, do bridge pose or wheel pose :)
Step by step (via YogaArtandScience):
- Lie flat on the back.
- Bend the legs and plant the feet flat on the floor hip width apart, with the heels close to the buttocks.
- Bend the elbows and bring the hands under the shoulders with the fingertips pointing towards the feet.
- Exhale, press the palms and feet down and lift up to the top of the head.
- Lift the head up slightly and move it back underneath you more.
- Interlock the fingers behind the head as you would for Salamba Shirshasana 1 (Head Stand 1).
- Hold this position for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Exhale and release, returning to the floor.
- Extend the legs and rest for a few breaths.
- Soften and widen the buttocks and find strength in the inner thighs.
- Lengthen the tailbone towards the knees.
- Narrow and lift the sides of the waist, lengthening them towards the head.
- Soften and widen the back ribs and roll them towards the ceiling.
- Soften and widen the shoulder blades and reach through the armpits.
- Press down evenly through the entire edge of the forearm.
- Reach the thighs towards the knees and roll the sternum towards the head.
- Soften and widen the back of the neck.
My intention for today’s practice: breathe slowly and deeply in every pose.